Saturday, January 31, 2015

Not the future

The truth is we all tried
We all gave it a go
I was sold hook line & sinker
That the future could hold it all
Dreams, words, love
All infinite
All possible
And another truth - no one knows the future
You were honest about the strands
Nothing is certain
The strands could have woven that web
But they didn't
And we tried
The heartache comes in waves
And right now
I'm drowning in it
Tonight I vow to not take my future someone (if there is one) for granted
I read your old emails
The everyday poetry of you & me
And I want to learn not to do this again
It may be too late for me to not take you & our time together for granted as that time diminishes
As it shrinks by the day
By the moment
I finally learned to savor you
To appreciate you
But it's too late, isn't it?
I want to make sure I don't do it again.
I'm sure now. I sit alone day after day & I'm not going to forget this lesson.
When they're there, don't take for granted that they'll be there tomorrow. Savor it right now 'cause tomorrow its just you & the memory of soft hugs & immeasurable tenderness.
We all tried.
And we all know.
We just don't say it outloud.

She'll never see a shooting star cause she'll never make time to look up at the night sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment